Riding a motorcycle can be fun, exhilarating, and for some, a financial decision. Motorbikes are cheaper to buy, maintain, and keep full of gas than a car. Getting around on a bike can be enjoyable and a real money saver. But there is a downside: these small vehicles can be dangerous and put your life and health at risk. Even if you obey all traffic rules and ride with extreme care, you could be involved in a serious collision. Our motorcycle accident attorneys in Jackson are dedicated to helping the injured and their families fight for the compensation they deserve.
What Are the Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Mississippi?
Motorcycle accidents are most often caused by the negligence of other drivers. Many drivers have what is caused a “motorcyclist blind spot”, meaning that they do not register the presence of a motorcycle and regularly miscalculate their speed and other factors.
Motorcycle accidents are commonly caused by the following:
- Distracted Drivers: Even though most people understand that this is a very dangerous practice, a large percentage of motorists admit to having sent a text message while behind the wheel. Texting while driving and similar activities are especially hazardous for motorcyclists, because when a driver sends a text, they might weave and straddle over the center of their lane, and they might not see a motorcycle that enters their blind spot.
- Drunk Drivers: In spite of several decades of high-profile public awareness campaigns, far too many individuals make the horrible and often fateful decision to get behind the wheel after having too much to drink. Drunk driving impairs a motorist’s physical and cognitive abilities, causing a far greater likelihood of an accident.
- Reckless Drivers: In today’s society where so many people are in a hurry, aggressive and reckless driving is increasingly common. Excessive speeding, running stop signs and stop lights, refusing to yield the right-of-way, illegal or dangerous passing maneuvers, and similar behaviors put everyone on the road in greater danger.
- Drowsy Drivers: A surprising number of motorists drive without getting enough sleep. Drowsy or fatigued driving can cause a driver to fall asleep at the wheel, which can result in catastrophic consequences. The scary thing is that most individuals do not know the point at which they crossed the line and become sleepy. Even if that does not happen, however, a tired and fatigued driver can often miss important details that happen on the roads.
- Defective Vehicle Parts: Some motorcycle accidents happen because of a defective vehicle or vehicle part that breaks down in the wrong place at the wrong time. When this occurs, it may be possible to bring a product liability claim against the manufacturer, supplier, or distributor of the faulty product.
- Poor Road Conditions: Bad road conditions are a contributing factor to many motorcycle accidents. If this is the case, the party that is responsible for maintaining the roads could be held liable for the accident.
What Steps Should I Take After a Motorcycle Crash?
After a motorcycle accident, it is essential you follow a few important steps. Following these steps can ensure your safety and assist you in making an insurance claim or filing a lawsuit later with the help of a motorcycle accident lawyer from Brown Bass & Jeter. After a motorcycle accident, be sure to:
- Get to safety. If the accident occurs in traffic, move yourself and your motorcycle, if possible, to the side of the road to avoid further accidents and injury.
- Call the authorities. If you or the other driver experienced injuries or property damage, you must report the accident. Remain calm, respectful, and relate as much of the events of the accident as you are able. However, you do not need to admit fault.
- Document the scene. If possible, take photos of your damages and of the accident scene. Photos can help the courts and insurance companies make decisions later.
- Exchange insurance information. While you do not need to speak with the other driver’s insurance company, you will need the company name and policy information to file your claim.
- Seek treatment for your injuries. Unless your injuries are life-threatening, only leave the scene once cleared to do so by the authorities. Keep all medical treatment documentation for future reference.
- Speak with a BBJ motorcycle crash attorney. If your accident occurred due to the other driver’s negligence, if you were seriously injured, or if the other driver did not carry insurance, you will likely benefit from speaking with a Jackson motorcycle accident lawyer regarding a personal injury claim against the other driver.
Set up a Free Consultation with a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Jackson, MS
SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION
Offering Aggressive Representation in Personal Injury, Bankruptcy, Civil Rights & Other Cases