Were Your Civil Rights Violated? Here’s What an Attorney Can Do for You

police vehicle

If law enforcement personnel violated your civil rights, you may have grounds for legal action. While filing a claim won’t erase what happened, it could ensure the liable agency is held accountable. It could also yield the funds needed to pick up the pieces in the aftermath.

Since such claims are inherently complex—and government entities have certain protections under tort law—it’s wise to call an attorney as soon as you suspect your rights were violated. You can rely on your legal team to:

1. Conduct a Thorough Investigation

To file a claim under the Civil Rights Act of 1871, Section 1983, you’ll have to prove that you were deprived of one or more constitutional rights and that the party who committed the violation was on duty at the time and therefore acting as a representative of the law. A civil rights lawyer will use all the resources at the firm’s disposal to investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident and hopefully gather the evidence you need to prove these elements.

2. Calculate Recoverable Damages

A successful civil rights claim can yield compensation for all kinds of damages. If police used excessive force, for example, you may be entitled to funds for the associated medical bills. If you were wrongfully arrested, on the other hand, you may seek lost wages.

A knowledgeable civil rights attorney will evaluate the situation and help you determine all recoverable damages—and then compile the documentation needed to prove them—so you can pursue the maximum payout possible.

3. Correspond with the Opposing Party

Once you hire a lawyer, you can refer all correspondence from the opposing party to your legal team. As long as you don’t engage with the at-fault agency directly, they cannot manipulate you into jeopardizing your case inadvertently.

Your civil rights attorney will also handle all negotiations on your behalf—and you can be sure he or she won’t accept a dollar less than you deserve.

4. Prepare Your Case for Court

If negotiations prove unsuccessful, your lawyer will help you file a formal lawsuit. From conducting discovery to appearing in court, your attorney will guide you through every stage of the trial proceedings.

5. File an Appeal

If your claim does go all the way to court but the issued verdict is not in your favor, it may be possible to appeal the decision. Your civil rights lawyer will evaluate the proceedings from all angles to determine

whether you have grounds to challenge the verdict. If you do, he or she will help you navigate the subsequent appeal process.

Speak with a Jackson Civil Rights Lawyer

If your civil rights were violated, you can count on the tireless team at Brown Bass & Jeter, PLLC to advocate for you. When you turn to us, you will get the resources and experience of a prominent practice on your side. Call 601-487-8448 or fill out our Contact Form to set up a free consultation with a civil rights attorney in Jackson.

Call Us for a Free Consultation