If you were recently hurt in a car accident and you’re planning on taking action against those who were to blame, a personal injury attorney can help. As long as you turn to a reputable lawyer, you’ll be able to focus on your recovery while your claim proceeds in good hands.
Of course, there are still steps you can take to support your legal team’s efforts. One of the first—and arguably one of the most important—is writing down everything you can remember about the incident in question.
This statement will give your attorney a starting point for their investigation. To ensure it’s as thorough as possible, here’s what you should include:
- The date, time, and precise location of the crash;
- The weather and traffic conditions at the time;
- The number of vehicles that were involved;
- How the other motorists and passengers who were involved reacted;
- Whether police conducted any chemical tests or made any arrests;
- Whether anyone was rushed to the hospital;
- What you were doing in the moments leading up to the crash; and
- What you witnessed the other motorists doing in the moments leading up to the crash.
How Else Can I Contribute to My Car Accident Claim?
Giving your personal injury lawyer a detailed statement isn’t the only way to bolster your claim. You can also:
- Share any photos you took before leaving the scene;
- Refuse to give the insurance adjuster a recorded statement (and refer them to your legal team in the process);
- Visit a doctor as soon as possible after the accident;
- Follow all medical advice once you start treatment, thereby demonstrating a commitment to mitigating damages;
- Log all injury-related expenses diligently; and
- Keep a journal in which you write about the struggles you face daily because of the accident.
It’s also wise to limit your social media activity because once your claim is underway, the insurance adjuster will probably try to monitor your profiles. They’ll be looking for any reason to challenge your credibility.
Since there’s nothing stopping them from putting a negative spin on your content, it’s best to avoid posting anything at all until your claim has been resolved. If that’s not viable, at least make sure to avoid publishing anything about the accident, your injuries, any major expenditures, or social outings.
For an added layer of protection, you should also adjust your privacy settings, Make sure only approved connections can access your profiles. While this is not a foolproof way to contain your posts—once something is on the internet, after all, there’s no way to contain it—it will make it considerably more difficult for the insurance adjuster to scrutinize your content.
Speak with a Jackson Car Accident Lawyer
At Brown Bass & Jeter, PLLC, we know what kind of toll unanticipated injuries can take on the whole family. If you’re struggling in the aftermath of a wreck that someone else caused, we’ll help you compile the evidence needed to pursue compensation from their insurer. Call 601-487-8448 or fill out our Online Contact Form to set up a free case review with a car accident attorney in Jackson.