If you were seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident and you’re planning on consulting an attorney, you’re on the right track. A seasoned professional can assist with virtually every aspect of your claim, so you can focus on recovering.
Before you hand over the reins, though, there are a few things you can do to help your case get off the ground. This starts with preparing the answers to the following questions, which your lawyer will inevitably ask during the initial consultation:
- Were you doing anything out of the ordinary prior to the crash?
- Is there a chance the opposing party will try to shift at least some blame onto you?
- How did first responders handle the aftermath?
- Did police make any arrests when processing the scene?
- Did you get medical attention before leaving the area?
- Did you go to the hospital after the accident?
- What kinds of injuries did you sustain?
- Do doctors expect you to make a full recovery?
- How has the accident hurt your quality of life?
- What kinds of expenses have you incurred that you wouldn’t have had to cover had you not gotten hurt?
- Have you had any contact with the opposing party?
- Did you give any recorded statements to claims adjusters?
- Have you posted about the accident or your injuries on social media?
By writing down the answers to these questions, you can ensure your first meeting with a motorcycle accident attorney is as productive as possible. You’ll also give them a jumping off point for their investigation, so your claim has momentum from day one.
What Kinds of Questions Should I Ask Before Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
After evaluating the situation, the attorney will let you know if it sounds like you have grounds for a claim. If it turns out you do, you’ll then have to decide whether you want to proceed with their representation.
Since there’s so much at stake, it’s important to use this portion of the meeting to gauge the caliber of counsel that the firm provides. After all, you don’t want to turn to just anyone for help with your claim.
The easiest way to determine if you want to work with a particular lawyer is by asking strategic questions and then scrutinizing the answers. Such questions might include some combination of the following:
- Have you handled many claims with elements like my own?
- What do you think is the likeliest outcome to my case?
- Do you have the resources and experience needed to help me navigate a trial if settling proves impossible?
- What is your fee structure?
- How long will it take for you to get back to me if I reach out?
- How often will you update me on my case’s status?
Speak with a Jackson Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Wondering if you have grounds for legal action after a motorcycle accident? For a free case review, turn to Brown Bass & Jeter, PLLC.
Our compassionate team is proud to advocate for those who have been wronged by others. To discuss your situation with a motorcycle accident lawyer in Jackson, call 601-487-8448 or fill out our Contact Form and schedule a consultation.